Flower Show Classes
- Elepidote Rhododendron
- Lepidote Rhododendron
- Evergreen Azalea
- Deciduous Azalea
Entries to the Flower Show will be accepted on Wednesday, April 24, 2016, from approximately 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Judging will commence when the committee determines that all entries are organized in appropriate categories.
Flower Show Rules
- The exhibitor must be a member of the American Rhododendron Society or the Azalea Society of America.
- Plants from which entries are taken must have been grown outdoors in the exhibitor’s garden for at least six months prior to the flower show.
- Only one specimen of a variety may be entered in a class by an exhibitor. There is no limit to the number of different varieties than can be entered by an exhibitor.
- The Show Committee will group similar specimens together for judging purposes within each major class. That will be based on observable characteristics such as flower color, flower shape, or other attributes.
- Each elepidote rhododendron entry must be a single stem with a single terminal bud.
- Each lepidote rhododendron, deciduous azalea, or evergreen azalea entry can be a single stem or a single spray measuring not more than 15 inches in height above the vase top.
- All flower buds do not need to be open. Distracting new growth may be removed neatly.
- Entries should be properly groomed and conditioned. Artificial shine may not be used on any foliage. Damaged leaf margins may be trimmed, but not so much as to substantially change the natural shape of the leaf. Damaged leaves may be completely and neatly removed.
- An exhibitor card for each entry must be legibly written and all information filled in using a water-proof pen. Vases, entry cards, and pens will be provided for all entries.
- Entries should not be removed from the Show except by the exhibitor or the Show Director who may remove any entry which has serious deterioration of the condition or appearance.
- Exhibitors should claim their entries at the close of the Flower Show on Saturday Evening, April 23. Unclaimed entries will be destroyed by the Show Director.
- Each convention attendee will be given a ballot to vote for favorite specimens in each class in order to determine a People’s Choice Award.